Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

1970's New Plymouth 4

Click on photos for larger view New Plymouth racecourse 1973/4

Around 1972 I came across a small book put out by a group of NZ photographers called Photography A Visual Dialect... Ten NZ Photographers. It included people like John Fields, Richard Collins, John B. Turner and Max Oettli. This book represented something other than commercial or camera club photography. It showed me that others were using their cameras as expressive tools, right here in NZ, and it changed the way I was seeing. Until that point the only good mag I could find was the English publication called Creative Camera. Sometimes it was impossible to get CC or it took months to a arrive from England. PhotoForum (created by some of the photographers in the book) began in 1974 and is still going stronger than ever. I have always been a member and my Wellington book was co-published with them. Take a look at the link to their web site at the top of this site. The little book cost $1.

1 comment:

  1. informative, simply a star for this post.
    cool pics, i always adore them

    ReplyDelete