Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

1970's New Plymouth 2

Click on photos for a larger view By 1971 my Leica was with me 24 hours a day and I was taking photographs of everything around me. New Plymouth was a fascinating place to live after leaving Wellington. Nothing has changed in almost 40 years of work and I am still captivated by the magic of making images, especially in smaller towns. I still carry my camera (in a canvas bag) all the time, even when I pop across the road to the dairy. The photo above is of a worker in the NP fertilizer works.

This photo at the Okato swimming pool.

A farm sale. In 1972 I was just starting to become aware of the European photographers Andre Kertesv and Henri Cartier-Bresson because of books in the NP library. Robert Frank's The Americans was almost impossible to buy at the time even though I had heard about it. I managed to buy one in 1988 15 years later.

This photograph taken at the NP fair ground. I made my first (home made) book of NP fair ground people about 72. I still have the book and the photographs are in perfect condition.

1 comment:

  1. living pics, i likes this collection the most from ur site.
    keep posting .

    ReplyDelete